#TeamBloom is very excited to be participating in a very thoughtful cause that hits close to home for us.
Since opening our doors in September, we have had the privilege of connecting with many women facing a variety of health concerns that leave them feeling isolated and unable to relate to others in their struggles.
Establishing these meaningful connections has inspired us to directly support a cause that is addressing feelings of loneliness and segregation faced by women who are living at or using the services local agencies and shelters in Ottawa.
The Shoebox Project is a simple and creative way to add a bit of sparkle to someone’s holiday, because everyone deserves more than just basic necessities of living.
When seeking inspiration for putting together your box, we suggest putting it together as though it is for your best friend, or sibling.
The guidelines for this box ask for you not to include the following items:
- Used or old/expired goods – anything which has been held in a home for years and has surpassed its expiration date (i.e. cosmetics, shampoo, lotions etc.)
- Anything opened/not packaged
- Any item from a second-hand or thrift shop
- Items you have secured from the home of a pack rat or hoarder
- Old, unpackaged jewelry
- Hotel toiletries and free samples (i.e. Cosmetic company promotions) Many of the women who will receive your gift struggle with self-esteem issues. Seeing “not for sale” or “free” on a gift does send a kind message.
- Anything containing alcohol (i.e. Mouthwash, nail polish remover, hand sanitizer, chocolates, first aid kits)
- Anything containing nuts (i.e. candy, chocolates)
- Feminine hygiene products or any other necessities (i.e. Pads, tampons, panty liners, band-aids, first aid kits, deodorant etc.)
- Candles, matches, lighters
- Perfume or scents of any kind as most shelters are scent-free
- Anything sharp that could be used to do self-harm (i.e. razors, manicure sets, tweezers, scissors)
- Foundations or concealers
- Anything for a bathtub (i.e. Bubble bath or bath bombs), as most shelters do not have bathtubs
- Jumbo-sized items or bulk-size containers that take up almost an entire Shoebox (i.e. shampoo, conditioner, lotions)
- Anything religious in nature (i.e. Books, cards etc.)
- Sized clothing (i.e. S, M, L, XL) should not be included because beautiful women come in all different sizes
Bloom Integrative Health will be participating and accepting your boxes from November 18th to December 13th.
We thank you in advance to all who choose to participate in this worthy cause.